Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Cartoon and Macramé Wounds

Morrisons - the supermarket chain - have been good to me this week. I got a parking ticket in their Northampton centre branch for outstaying my welcome, appealed against it and won. Which was nice. And then yesterday, at the Kettering Road branch I found 7 boxes of my favourite discontinued breakfast cereal! There were 9 boxes in total, but two of them expire in the next couple of days and while my better judgement says that they'd be fine... you know...

***********

The weather... I've already mentioned the almost immortally stupid words I hear regularly every spring? The 'Oh we deserve a good summer' line? Just to emphasise the point, what kind of complete and utter nonsense is that? Yes, we probably do deserve a good summer, but what we deserve and what Mother Nature throws at us are as different ducks and raspberry tarts.

As it is, the bank holiday weather is its usual cold, windy and potentially very damp. I have, however, planted a bunch of onions, which with my potatoes, should see me through the autumn. The forecast for the next 7 days is pretty much as good as the best bits of yesterday and there's me thinking about all those independent weather forecasters who said we're going to have a summer that rivals 1976. I said at the time they'd been paid off by the politicians to say this year was going to be great, to put us into a good mood for all the misery that is about to descend on us after Thursday...

*****************

As most of you know, I'm a vegetarian, so is the wife (and a damned sight longer than me). We have four dogs, a single rabbit and 6 ducks. Ducks have sort of become the new motif of the Hall family. Once it was rabbits, then guinea pigs, chinchillas, rats, and then dogs - you could always tell what the major animal presence in our garden was by the Christmas and birthday cards we'd receive. So now we get ducks - duck ornaments, cards and comical kitchen utensils. Oh and calendars... My mother-in-law bought us a calendar for Christmas; she was obviously hunting for that one last extra special themed present when she saw the duck calendar.

As much as I try, I'm failing to be subtle about this. The calendar was of antique wooden decoy ducks used in the hunting of real live ducks! I said to the wife at the time, "Why didn't she just buy us a calendar of Britain's 12 Best Abattoirs?"

****************

Just a quick excursion into the realms of The Passion of Lovers blog entries, but I am really happy that Spurs have finished above Liverpool in the league, for the first time in 43 years, no less. But can I beg and plead with the Liverpool bosses not to get rid of Rafa Benitez. As long as that fat Spanish Manuel stays at Anfield, I can look forward to having my spirits raised every time they drop points. He really is a god like obsessed Shite fans claim - the god of belly laughs and tactical buffoonery!

*****************

My work project has two dates in the coming week, but things will really start to get a bit crazy in July, when for two months we're doing a minimum of 25 dates. There is only one real downside to this at the moment - the amount of mileage I'm doing. There is a very good chance that I'll use up my yearly allowance inside 5 months and that's an arbitrary tax rule that is essentially unfair to someone who drives a lot of miles but gets no financial gain from it. A sales rep needs to drive to earn money; I have to drive to try and improve other peoples lives - should we be penalised the same way?

**************

Saying this will probably put the mockers on it, but... I might be making a life changing decision on June 1st. Something I threaten repeatedly but never fail to succeed with...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Modern Culture - A Mixed Bag

The spoilers are here, there and occasionally everywhere... Holey Underpants* If at first you don't enjoy, try, try again. We went into ...