Sunday, September 02, 2012

2012 - 62

I can't be arsed to think up appropriate titles and subheadings; just the process takes up too much time and time is something I have very little of left.

It's back to work tomorrow and as brother-in-law Neil said, at his local Leighton Buzzard pub on Friday, for his 37th birthday (37!!! Jesus, he was 7 when I met him), 'Going back to work after a week is bad,. after a two week holiday its murder, so fuck knows what it must be like after 6 weeks!' Of course, take into account my lung problems in July and I have actually only been at work a grand total of 4 days in the last 10 weeks, so this is going to be tougher than I expect, especially as the covert changes that were made, the day after my department broke up for the summer, will come into force and I'm thinking the management will hope that 6 weeks holiday will have tempered tempers to a level that they can deal with!

Naturally, the weather forecast for next week is really depressing, but it's what I expected and forecast my self, so let's not go on about it just yet, eh? My plan for most of the good days in September is to get home from work at 4.40pm, get out of my monkey suit and straight into shorts and a T-shirt and imagine it's still the summer for a couple of hours a night until the equinox comes and depresses me for 6 months, blah blah blah...

I am looking at Sunday from my office window. It's 10.56am and the sunshine they said would arrive around 5pm has arrived 6 hours early. I have a very enjoyable 3rd instalment of the aGoT books to read; so that's what I'm going to do, right now...

Later...

Not much later though; just over an hour to be precise. I went down, got a chair out, set myself up to sit in the sun, top the tan up and do that bit of relaxing before getting on with other things (I have a Sidcup to write, a new blog to finish, dinner to do, dogs to walk and other shit...), only for the sun to disappear almost at the exact second I sat down. Within five minutes I'd put a top on over my T-shirt and five minutes after that I retired to the conservatory.

The weird happening thing about going back to work tomorrow is that for six weeks I saw no one at all from school (apart from the head of English for a beer). I might possibly have seen a former year 11 student who has left, but other than that - nada, no one at all. In Sainsbury's on Friday I saw the head of IT, but he didn't see me and on the way home (from Wellingborough) I saw one of the old year 7 kids (now year 8) walking right outside the school.

While we're flitting around subjects; Doctor Who was... okay. Moffatt still has as many plot holes and idiosyncrasies in his work as RTD, yet much of this is hidden by good SFX and I found myself thinking parts of it could have been done much better. Will be interested to know whether Oswyn Oswald is actually going to be the Doctor's new companion or if they're just using the same actress (like they did with whatsername, the one who replaced thingy, um, er, Billy Piper, Freema Agyeman? I think that's her; she was in it before she was in it, wasn't she?). Anyhow, if DW goes back in time and picks Oswyn up before she gets the Dalek nanobite virus then that will be inspirational and uber-nerdy, even if it causes a paradox and offers up the question of why she had no idea who the Doctor is. But having her wipe his existence from their collective minds was both good and slightly useful and allows the Daleks to be used again without the usual clichés. I just have a feeling that this series is going to be a bit too frivolous at times, especially the forthcoming Dinosaurs on a Spaceship because... well, because.

After that we watched Snow White & The Huntsman, which, it has to be said, was as weird as fuck. It could almost have been a Neil Jordan film of the 1980s and had it stuck with the odd rather than slipped into mainstream a lot, then it might have been a really excellent film. Kristin Stewart can't really act and her teeth look like she's a practising bulemic; Chris Hemsworth should probably go into AmDram Shakespeare when his film career dies and Charlize Theron dialled in her performance. The 8 dwarves were underused and there was a much better film trying to get out once they appeared; but you could also see that this was 'inspired' by The Hobbit in the same way that SyFy make rubbish films that are thinly-veiled 'homages' to whatever current SF blockbuster is making the rounds. I have seen much worse.

Signs of sun again...

Later Still...

It is now 1.30 and it has just started raining; that fine rain that gets you wet very quickly without seeming as though it does. I managed to get another 45 minutes in, but it was in the conservatory more as a watchman rather than as a relaxation exercise. Basically, I was waiting for the rain so I could get the washing in.

It's now 2.40 and you must be really riveted by this almost real time commentary of my last day of freedom! I fixed a windscreen wiper in the last hour too! Now I'm going in search of blackberries and possibly, but doubtfully, some mushrooms.

Even Later still...

Found neither; spent the rest of the evening finishing reading my book. I don't really have much else to say; things will undoubtedly be more interesting once I'm back at work. Tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Modern Culture - Salvation or Soiled Pants?

The usual spoiler warnings apply... Bad Acting and Boredom Problem Christ, where do I start? This review is going to end up being done in tw...